gnupic: Update on pp

Subject: Update on pp
From: Rick Altherr ####@####.####
Date: 31 Oct 2005 06:44:41 +0000

I didn't fall off the face of the planet.  Honestly!

After I released pp into the wild, I got very busy finishing up my
college senior project and then moving across the US to start my new
job.  Now that I've got things somewhat settled, I've picked up work
on pp again.

There are major changes going on in how pp is written that will help
in maintenance and in extending pp to new programmers.  The entire
program is being rewritten in C++ with abstract base classes for file
formats and programmers.  This also enabled moving the concrete
classes into separate libraries.  Yes, you heard that right, pp will
now have the plugins for file formats and programmers.

So far, I've finished the class hierarchy for the file formats and
the code for loading and working with the plugins.  I've successfully
built a test app that can find a plugin for the Intel hex format,
parse an input file into a binary image in memory, and then use the
plugin to write it back out in Intel hex format.

I'll be working on finishing the programmer class hierarchy this week
and hopefully have a new version that will support P018 (with a few
fixes for inaccuracies in the protocol document).  After that, I am
planning on adding support for the Atmel AVR ISP since I also own one
and I've become quite fond of using pp in my Makefiles.

After that is finished, I'll be open to taking code patches for new
plugins from those who would like to contribute and suggestions as to
what I should add to pp from those who feel it could be better.

As always, questions about pp can be emailed to me directly.

Thanks to everyone who has used pp and I apologize for the incredible
mess the source code was.  That's what happens when you decide to
write a programmer in a night because you hate having to move the hex
file to a windows machine so you can program it. :P
--
Rick Altherr

"He said he hadn't had a byte in three days. I had a short, so I
split it with him."
  -- Slashdot signature