gnupic: Re: [gnupic] p18f parallel port programmer for PIC18F4550

Subject: RE: [gnupic] p18f parallel port programmer for PIC18F4550
From: "Jay Dagenais" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Dec 2005 20:56:15 +0000

Here is a bit of a stupid question from a newbie, but with that parallel
port programmer, does one still have to use a hardware programmer, or does
this take the place of the typical hardware programmer? I am trying to
program a variety of PICs, from the 18F252 to the 10F206, and want to know
if I can use an in circuit programmer such as this as opposed to using the
typical hardware type of programmer. There are so many different types of
designs out there that I am just confused as all heck about how to proceed.
Most of the free designs out there are based around an old type of pic, like
the 16c series, and I don't work with any of the 16 series or any of the 'C'
types of pics, and don't even really know what the differences are between
the types. Basically, if somebody could point me into the right direction,
that would really help me out at this point, as I am lost here. Ideally I
would like to have a programmer or a method that could program as many
different types of PICs as possible using the same device or software for
all of them, if there is such a thing. Something running through Windows
would be great, but something that would run under Linux and also has CLEAR
instructions (as I am new to Linux and find alot of the help and man pages
to be useless to me) would be great as well, because in the end I would
ideally like to focus only on software running under Linux. I use Suse for
now, but am starting to realize that there is better versions to use for the
purpose as many of the programs that I see online have not been yet ported
to Suse, and I have no ideas about how to do that myself. Thanks in advance
for any help that you folks can offer!!