gnupic: Re: [gnupic] p18f parallel port programmer for PIC18F4550

Subject: Re: [gnupic] p18f parallel port programmer for PIC18F4550
From: Ben Dugan ####@####.####
Date: 14 Dec 2005 22:19:42 +0000

Jay,

Your questions are not at all stupid; these things get pretty confusing.

The programmer I mentioned earlier does not need a "hardware programmer"
but does require you to make a special cable. There's a pdf schematic
for the cable in the zipped archive[1], and that schematic also attempts
to show you what's needed for the in-circuit device (a few pull-ups, one
pull-down).

But: the program I wrote (p18f.c) is specifically for a PIC18F4550 and
would need modifications to work with other chips.

I think my advice would be for you to keep googling, reading the GNUPIC
list stuff, until you find a combination of tools that will work in your
specific case.

Ben

[1] http://www.curdes.com/gnupic/GnuPic.html