gnupic: Re: [gnupic] p18f parallel port programmer for PIC18F4550

Subject: RE: [gnupic] p18f parallel port programmer for PIC18F4550
From: Chen Xiao Fan ####@####.####
Date: 15 Dec 2005 00:46:23 +0000

I think there are parallel port based programmers which
support lots of PICs under Windows. For example,
MELABS EPIC+ seems to support lots of PICs including
dsPICs under Windows. I am not so sure about its support
under Linux though. I am not familiar with parallel
port based programmers in general. Maybe others can
recommend one to you.

Under Windows MPLAB ICD2 is clearly one of the most
versatile programmer/debugger. There are also
lots of clones available. There are some efforts to
support it under Linux but the main problem is that
Microchip does not publish the protocol/API of ICD2.

For serial port based programmer, PICStart+ or clones like
JuPIC may be a good choice. They support most PICs (not
yet the dsPICs) and works great under Windows (MPLAB) and
Linux (picp).

For low cost serial based programmer, I think Wisp628A
(coupled with xwisp2) will be a very good option. It
supports lots of 16F and 18F device and work across
Windows/Linux/OS2/Mac OS X. The only issue is that it
does not support base line PICs like 10F right now.

Another good choice is PICkit 2. It will soon support quite
some popular PIC16F and PIC18F device. It is USB based
and works under Windows and Linux and maybe Mac OS X.
In theory PICkit 2 should be able to support most flash
PICs just like ICD2 but this will take time.

Regards,
Xiaofan