gnupic: Potential PIC project ?

Subject: Potential PIC project ?
From: ####@####.####
Date: 31 Dec 2005 14:42:01 +0000

Ser/Par-port to USB-based flash-mem-sticks ?

I still maintain that PIC users have been misled.
The basic PIC architecture [small memory space], only made
sense and was justified for SSI [was it 8, 12, 18 pin DIL - I've forgotten].

For the types of projects now handled by PIC, a 'proper' uProc, with
[not a Harvard architecture] a 16bit adr-space is cheaper.
 ------------
USB-based flash-mems have flooded the market, and are very
cost effective.  Yet still many machines in use don't have USB ports.

Apparently the USB-based flash-mem-sticks are SCSI based.
Which will be replaced first [by USB]: ser [RS232] or par-port ?

I always thought of the par-port [centronics] as being the most
'universal', and that's why Iomega chose the make a par-port
external Zip-drive.   Probably the par-port, even with minimum
input lines - 3 I think - is faster than RS232 ?

There could be a lot of users for [PIC based] adaptors for USB-flash.

Including a notebook, of my 4 machines only one has USB-ports.
So a main advantage of USB-flash tranporting data between
machines is not available.  Diskette is becoming increasingly
unreliable and annoying ?

== Chris Glur.