gnupic: gpsim installation problem

Subject: gpsim installation problem
From: S W Collier ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jan 2006 21:58:56 +0000

Hello and a Happy New year to all.
I am climbing the learning curve of Linux and am trying to install
gpsim. I have successfully installed gpasm,gplib and gplink but I am
having trouble with gpsim. I think gtk+extra has installed OK, at
least all the files seem to be in the correct directories. However
when I try to install gpsim, things come to a halt. I have a
directory (gpsim-0.21.11) which contains the (I assume) source files
but when I go to that directory and ./configure I get the following,

checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
Makefiles... no
enabling gui support
linking with GTK+ 2.x
checking for pkg-config... no
configure: error: Cannot find pkg-config

and it returns to the console. Where do I get this missing file and is
this the total problem??
Thanking you in anticipation,
 Stan.