gnupic: Re: [gnupic] GPSIM / dsPIC

Subject: RE: [gnupic] GPSIM / dsPIC
From: "Scott Dattalo" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jan 2006 15:18:07 +0000

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 06:33 -0800, Andrew Nguyen wrote:
> I have not had too much time to evaluate the gpsim architecture.  For my
> intended purposes of simulation, I was hoping to be able to import a hex
> file into gpsim and simulate it.  Where the hex file was built from
> shouldn't be an issue.  Of course, I don't even know if the above will
> work and any suggestion are greatly appreciated.  As for building their
> GPLed assembler, I suppose that would be an option - with respect to
> licensing, there shouldn't be anything preventing our use of the
> 'closed' files as long as they are not redistributed.  I know that's no
> where near ideal but it may have to do if an assembler is needed on
> Linux.
>
> I still have much to learn about gpsim...

Hi Andrew,

I can tell you whatever you need to know about gpsim!

I was going to suggest the .hex route for loading the source too as a
first step. This will solve the problem of having to parse the object
files. However, eventually you're going to have to have symbols...

As far as gpsim's architecture, currently all three families of the PIC
processors are supported: 12-bit core, 14-bit core, and 16-bit core. Even
the old 16-bit core (17C series) has some support. In addition, I've
ported gpsim over to some proprietary microcontrollers (that are
substantially different than PICs). I'm confident there's enough
infrastructure to support the dsPIC.

gpsim is written in C++. There are classes for processors, registers,
instructions, peripherals, breakpoints, etc, etc. It can get quite
overwhelming to learn how these are all interconnected. So it'd probably
make sense studying the 16-bit port to get some idea of what to do for the
dsPIC port. The files to look at are src/16bit-processors.cc,h ,
src/16bit-registers.cc,h , src/p18.cc,h , src/16bit-hexdecode.cc, and
finally src/16bit-instructions.cc,h.

Please feel free to ask any questions. Meanwhile, I'm going to take a peek
at those links Xiaofan posted.

Scott