gnupic: Re: [gnupic] RE: GPSIM / dsPIC

Subject: Re: [gnupic] RE: GPSIM / dsPIC
From: Xiaofan Chen ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jan 2006 23:50:52 +0000

On 1/27/06, John Steele Scott ####@####.#### wrote:
> No problem. The stuff required to make deb packages is attached to this
> post. You need to fill in the "upstream" directory for each package before
> you can build it.

Thanks a lot! I've tested this under Ubuntu 5.10 (I need to install gcc-3.3
since the default gcc-4.0 will fail). I think Ubuntu 5.04 or other later
Debian based version will be okay as well.

More detailed instruction:
1) For pic30-binutils-2.00 package, fill in the upstream directory
with the following GPLed ASM30 source tar ball from Microchip:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/mplabalc30v2_00.tgz.

2) For pic30-gcc-2.00 package, fill in the upstream directory
with the following GPLed C30 source tar ball from Microchip:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/mplabc30v2_00.tgz

3) For pic30-support-2.00 packages, it is no-src and non-free package
and it is not allowed to be redistributed without the permission from
Microchip.

Download the MPLAB C30 V2.00 student edition from the following link:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLABC30v2_00aStudent-Edition.exe.

Install it under Wine. Copy the content of the whole installation to the
upstream directory.

I think John forget to copy some of the include files for the standard libc.
You can copy the upstream C30 include directory to the
location /usr/pic30-elf/include.

For Fedora Core 4 users, there are RPM packages (source
and binary) of dsPIC ASM30/C30 V2.0 here:
http://www.baycom.org/~tom/dspic/  (Thomas Sailer )

For other Linux users, I think it is not necessary to build the RPM or
Debian packages, just grab the patches and follow the Debian build
rules or the FC4 RPM spec file and run the tradional (patch, configure,
make and make install) will be okay as well. In fact, I've tested this
under Windows using Cygwin with Thomas Sailer's source RPM packages.
The RPM build script failed but the traditional approach still works.

Regards,
Xiaofan