gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Serial programmer for USB parts?

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Serial programmer for USB parts?
From: "Jay Dagenais" ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2006 21:25:04 +0000

Hi again, sorry to butt in here, but you also recommended this Wisp628A
programmer to me as a good first programmer for a newbie like myself, but I
have not been able to locate much info about it, let alone any design help
for constructing one myself. I did happen onto another thread which you were
a part of, which talked a bit about the programmer, but still no links, any
help here? Is this only a unit which is sold, not an open design? Any idea
where I could buy a cheap or used ICD2? I am up in Canada and they seem a
bit steep to me...200 about after taxes and all that. Another quick querie
is if you know of any online tutorials for learning PIC asm, or even a good
AVR asm tutorial would be helpful as I try to use both, am just not sure
exactly which to pursue yet, both have lots of support available, but right
now it almost seems to me like the AVR's would be easiest to pick up-less
hardware to worry about, their eval boards are able to be programmed without
additional hardware (as far as I can tell so far...) Whats are your thoughts
on this for a newbie like myself?