gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Serial programmer for USB parts?

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Serial programmer for USB parts?
From: Xiaofan Chen ####@####.####
Date: 31 Jan 2006 00:43:04 +0000

On 1/31/06, Jay Dagenais ####@####.#### wrote:
> Hi again, sorry to butt in here, but you also recommended this Wisp628A
> programmer to me as a good first programmer for a newbie like myself, but I
> have not been able to locate much info about it, let alone any design help
> for constructing one myself. I did happen onto another thread which you were
> a part of, which talked a bit about the programmer, but still no links, any
> help here? Is this only a unit which is sold, not an open design? Any idea
> where I could buy a cheap or used ICD2? I am up in Canada and they seem a
> bit steep to me...200 about after taxes and all that. Another quick querie
> is if you know of any online tutorials for learning PIC asm, or even a good
> AVR asm tutorial would be helpful as I try to use both, am just not sure
> exactly which to pursue yet, both have lots of support available, but right
> now it almost seems to me like the AVR's would be easiest to pick up-less
> hardware to worry about, their eval boards are able to be programmed without
> additional hardware (as far as I can tell so far...) Whats are your thoughts
> on this for a newbie like myself?

There is no problem to go to AVR world for hobbyists. AVR is perfectly fine
for new beginners. But then you are in the wrong lists. ;-)

PIC is fine as well. The hardware design for wisp628 is here:
http://www.voti.nl/wisp628/index_1.html
The best software to go with Wisp628A is xwsip2. It is here:
http://www.robh.nl/picsoft.php

You can also starts with simple programmers like JDM or Tait Type.
PiKdev (http://pikdev.free.fr/) is a good place to go if you want to
do PIC development under Linux. The hardware page
(http://pikdev.free.fr/hardware.html) lists quite some simple programmers
to start. With the latest version of PiKdev, the chip support is quite okay.

For tutorial, start with blinking an LED. There are plenty of links. Google
is your good friend.

Regards,
Xiaofan