gnupic: Re: [gnupic] USB code, PICDEM FS USB and Linux

Subject: RE: [gnupic] USB code, PICDEM FS USB and Linux
From: "Chen Xiao Fan" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Feb 2006 00:59:33 +0000

The kernel HID driver will claim any HID device not blacklisted.
However you can detach the kernel HID driver if you want under
Linux. For example, the following is the code under Linux used
in pk2 for PICkit 2 Linux support.

 #ifdef LINUX
    int retval;
    char dname[32] = {0};
    retval = usb_get_driver_np(d, 0, dname, 31);
    if (!retval)
       usb_detach_kernel_driver_np(d, 0);
 #endif

Once you detach the kernel HID driver, you can claim the device
with libusb based program.

But if you want the keyboard or mouse function (here the
input layer is functional) and then add some more customized
function, maybe the situation will become more complex. Maybe
the user space libusb based program will not work. One possibility
is to use file system access (hiddev) to access the device.
The other possibility is to write your own kernel driver.

I am not so clear about this myself. Maybe Bradley Minch can
explain this much better. He is the true expert here.

PS: I just saw Brad's answer. So one can still send control
message to HID device.

Regards,
Xiaofan