gnupic: Re: [gnupic] gpsim - New GUI Source Browser

Subject: Re: [gnupic] gpsim - New GUI Source Browser
From: "Scott Dattalo" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2006 03:57:58 +0000

The other day I wrote:

> I rewrote gpsim's source browser to take advantage of the newer API
> offered by gtk+-2.X.

<snip>

>    -- Line numbers and opcodes
>
> Some people don't care to clutter their screen with line numbers and
> opcodes (like me). So I plan to make this something that can be
> selectively enabled. (Note this will require that the Current PC and
> breakpoint indication problem be solved).

I found a solution for the current line number and breakpoint problem that
doesn't involve filling the screen up with clutter. The new solution I
stumbled upon while using gedit. gedit uses a 3rd party widget called
gtksourceview. If I were going to turn gpsim into an IDE I'd consider
using gtksourceview too. However, we don't need another dependency nor all
of the power it provides. But it did illustrate how to manipulated the gtk
native widgets the way that I want. Here's a screen shot illustrating a
cleaner view.

http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/sbrowser2.png

As you can see, the line number have been removed. And if there's a reason
to add them back, then it's easy to do. However, I'd placed them in the
grayed margin off to the left. The opcodes are still present, but I plan
to make this a user-configurable option for enabling/disabling.

The aesthetics of this new implementation can be easily modified.

Scott