gnupic: Re: [gnupic] terminal simulation on gpsim?

Subject: Re: [gnupic] terminal simulation on gpsim?
From: Borut Razem ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2006 17:28:49 +0000

Hi Scott,

> The usart_con module slipped by without me noticing! Why did you add a
> whole new module instead of adding a way for the existing one to
> direct its output to a console?

The background is that I was going to add the sdcc pic16 port to the
regression test suite, so I needed a way to display characters from the
compiled and simulated C code (putchar()) to the standard output
(console). The gpsim usart module was already there, but:

- it is a part of libgpsim_modules, but for regression testing the other
modules are not needed
- it produced a lot of debugging info on the console, so it was not
usable for regression test purposes (you already corrected that by
commenting out the #define DEBUG in usart.cc)
- it has a GUI, which means that it can not be compiled on systems
without GTK+ and it's family. This is important because I plan to
include the pic16 regression tests to sdcc nightly builds on SF CF
(allready done on x86-linux2 machine), but the CF machines usually don't
have GTK+ libraries installed. I know that there is the #ifdef HAVE_GUI
which generates a GUI-less libgpsim_modules, but I don't like the idea
to have two files with different functionalities having the same name
(libgpsim_modules with and without GUI).
- the usart module handles both input and output, but the regression
tests needs only the output. Actually I don't have an idea how the input
would (should) work from the console: who should capture the characters:
gspim or the usart module?

Yes, you are right: all of quoted reasons (or excuses ;-) can be solved,
but I needed a quick solution and I did it in a dirty way :-(

But anyway: the usart_con module is nothing else but a modified usart
module:
- without GUI
- disabled debugging messages
- without the TXPIN

If / when all the previusly listed issues will be implemented in usart,
usart_con won't be needed any more and can be removed.

P.S.: sdcc pic16 regression test are working quite well. Currently there
are many failures, but I think they will be quickly solved by pic16 sdcc
gurus. The results can be found at:
http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/release_wiki/index.php?page=RegTestRes
Usualy is more difficult to find a bug then to fix it, but now we have a
tool :-)

Thank you for the gpsim and sorry for my negligence,

Borut