gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Help needed

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Help needed
From: "Scott Dattalo" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2006 16:19:07 +0000

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 15:15 +0100, octaloctal wrote:

> Has any body tried the socket API of gpsim ?

I have. It was originally designed to do something similar to what you
asked. Specifically, I wanted a separate application to be able to control
gpsim without having to be linked against gpsim. In the end, I found it
much more convenient to expose a gpsim API and use threads to achieve the
same thing (gpsim is spawned in one thread, while the other app in
another). I think this later approach is preferred and closer to what you
seek with a JAVA wrapper.

> What I Need :
>     1- any body is intereested in writing a java wrapper arround gpsim
api ?

As I mentioned in the private message we exchanged, there is no JAVA
wrapper for gpsim. What I neglected to mention is that there is a a PERL
interface that exists for gpsim and it uses SWIG, http://www.swig.org/ .
Look at gpsim_exports.i in gpsim's top level directory. Creating a Java
(or Python, Guile, Tcl, Ruby, ...) interface from a SWIG .i file is rather
straight forward.

>    2- or if Nobody interrested, is there any body interrested in writing a
> full PIC simulator in JAVA ?

I believe there is a JAVA-based  PIC simulator out there. IIRC it, like
all of the other open-source PIC simulators I'm aware of, mixes the
simulator engine with the gui and supports only subset of the processors.

> Sincerely, my hope is to find developpers for the first solution, because
> rewriting gpsim is a wast of energy, gpsim is mature and support most pics,
> and I prefer not to wast time in reinventing the weel.
>
> Any body can help ?

I think the reason no one is probably coming out forward to help is
because they don't see any reason to. Each time we've conversed, you've
made statements like "mplab killer", "I'm 70% done", etc. This is fine,
but so far no one has seen any of your work. In fact, we don't know it's
name! Perhaps you'll get better participation by putting your code on
SourceForge or something.

Actually, come to think of it, you haven't mention whether or not you plan
to open the source. Do you?

Scott