gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Beginner

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Beginner
From: Gibaud Alain ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2006 16:55:05 +0000

Le Mardi 14 Mars 2006 12:20, Xiaofan Chen a écrit :
> On 3/14/06, Gibaud Alain ####@####.#### wrote:
> > But apparently,  piklab's "author" motivations are to be the main author
> > of something, not a "simple" contributor. I am honoured to have been
> > forked by a person who has already cloned such famous software like
> > Tetris (ksirtet) or mines (kmines).
>
> Sorry but I do not expect such harsh comment against the author of piklab.
> I think the comment is rather unfair.
>
> As far as I am concerned, both piklab and pikdev are released under GPL
> so it is perfectly okay to use code from each other. Isn't this the beauty
> of open source development model?

Mmm, please read again what I wrote. The problem is not to reuse code, but to
redevelop a very similar software instead of contribute, for unclear reasons.
I didn't minimize Hadacek  efforts, just told his approach is a waste of
energy.
The "neat" result is we now have 2 similar programs, under the same
environment: where is the beauty here?
Do you really think that the sum of functionnalities
offered by these 2 softwares developed by 2 different persons
is greater than the functionnalities that would have been developed by
these two persons working on the same program?

> If you look at the web page here http://piklab.sourceforge.net/devel.php,
> you will know that Nicolas gives credit to the contributors. I am not
> a piklab developer but only a tester for the ICD2 and PICkit2 programming
> capability and I will say Nicolas has spent quite some efforts on the
> project.

Sure! As everybody does in such a project.

Regards

Alain