gnupic: GNUPIC or not GNUPIC?

Subject: GNUPIC or not GNUPIC?
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 11 Apr 2001 03:48:52 -0000

That is a question. I got this from Bradley M. Kuhn ####@####.#### today:

Hello, Scott.  I am the vice president of the Free Software Foundation,
writing you on behalf of the GNU project.

Someone recently told us about James Bowman's project, GNU PIC, which
according to the web page, you have taken over.

Everyone is permitted to released software under the GNU GPL without our
permission, and we are happy when they do.  However, we do not usually
permit developers to call their software "GNU" unless they have made
official arrangements with us to do so.

Likely James chose the name as a tribute to us, and that is
understandable, and we appreciate it.  However, we would like to now go
through the formal arrangements to have GNU PIC be made into an official a
GNU program (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#GNUprograms).

Would you like to begin this process?

In the meantime, we would appreciate it if you'd note on the website and
the mailing lists that GNU PIC is not yet officially GNU software.

Of course, you are under no obligation to make "GNU PIC" officially into
GNU software.  However, we ask that you change the name to something else
if you choose not to make it part of GNU.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I quite frankly don't care one way or the other if we're sanctioned by the
official "GNU" or not. However, my ambivalence can be easily swayed.

Anyone care to comment on this? Would it make everyone feel good if we got
FSF's blessing?

Scott