gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Re:[gnupic] Help needed

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Re:[gnupic] Help needed
From: "octaloctal" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Mar 2006 09:28:27 +0000

> I think gpsim is good simulator. The main problem is/was dependancy on a
> lot of libraries.
I think the same and I agree with that. GpSim is a very good and very well
designed Simulator. But I also think that if we want more and more people to
converge to open source solutions, the easiest way it to provide ready to
use software to them. Stop thinking about hackers using hackers codes. Apple
is using a unix (mach) operating system. Its success is largely due to the
fact that it has hidden the complexity behind a good GUI and it provides
already compiled binaries to its consumers. I know that there are many
distributions of linux and that linux is evolving quickly, but we can at
least compile and package some binary versions for at least the latest
libraries of gcc and gtk.

> Personally I don't like Java. Java is big and slow.
Java is not slow. It was true for the first version of Java, now when you
execute a java program, the loader compile natively the byte code to your
cpu.
Java programs was also seeming slow because the gui's toolkits like SWING
ans SWT where written fully in java and were very slow.
In Eclipse, we use SWT the new toolkit from IBM. SWT is written natively on
each platform that supports eclipse, so it works as quick as any app on
linux of windows.

> tried Eclipse. Maybe I have slow computer...
Eclispe uses lazy loading for plugins, I will not enter in details. But once
sarted Eclipse is as quick as any tool. The problem is that people do not
differenciate between Eclipse Platform and Eclipse JDT (Java Devlopement
Tools).
Java Dev Tools for Eclipse are little slow because it compiles code
(continuously) in background to let you see errors in code while you are
typing. Eclipse JDT is very active. So the minimum machine to use it is (in
my opinion) a PII with 256Mo.
But my Editor uses only Eclipse Platform, (without Java Dev Tools), so it's
much more quicker. But I continue (and again it's my personal opinion) to
think that for working corrctely today is to have at least a PII with 256Mo
of ram, since Windows and Linux are huge systems. To work seriously forgot
P1 machines with 32 Mo of ram and Win9x. now most of hardware tools are USB
conencted, and most USB drivers (I have seen) for Win9x are buggy. USB
support under Win9x is uggly. Microsoft have not spent much time after the
release of WinXP to deprecate Win9x...

So with the minimum machine (PII) I think you will not have any pb making
working anay Eclipse tool.

best regards