gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Help needed

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Help needed
From: "octaloctal" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Mar 2006 10:47:09 +0000

Hi Scott, thank your for your reply.

> As I mentioned in the private message we exchanged, there is no JAVA
> wrapper for gpsim. What I neglected to mention is that there is a a PERL
> interface that exists for gpsim and it uses SWIG, http://www.swig.org/ .
> Look at gpsim_exports.i in gpsim's top level directory. Creating a Java
> (or Python, Guile, Tcl, Ruby, ...) interface from a SWIG .i file is rather
> straight forward.

I have downloaded the taz.gz  src version of GpSim from sourceforge and I
have not found anywhere the file gpsim_exports.i. Sorry.

>>    2- or if Nobody interrested, is there any body interrested in writing
>> full PIC simulator in JAVA ?
>
> I believe there is a JAVA-based  PIC simulator out there. IIRC it, like
> all of the other open-source PIC simulators I'm aware of, mixes the
> simulator engine with the gui and supports only subset of the processors.

Why Java, my intention is not to concurence or bypass GpSim, I think and
continue to think that it's the best simulator even developped (open source)
for pic, but the problem of GpSim is that it relys on various libraries.
until now, for Eclipse Editor, I have just to reload the project in Eclipse
for Linux and to recompile to create the Linux version (I develop primarily
under windows). If the Simulator was written in Java we would have the same
level of portability. no compiler directive, no dll, ....

> I think the reason no one is probably coming out forward to help is
> because they don't see any reason to. Each time we've conversed, you've
> made statements like "mplab killer", "I'm 70% done", etc. This is fine,
> but so far no one has seen any of your work. In fact, we don't know it's
> name! Perhaps you'll get better participation by putting your code on
> SourceForge or something.

Why I need help, because I have not the time to do the wrapper. I prefer
spend more time on the editor and asm project management.
>> Each time we've conversed, you've made statements like "I'm 70% done",
>> etc. This is fine,

When I started the project I was discovering the Eclipse platforme. First
time I decided only to write a plugin with syntax highliting for MPASM
(Gpasm).
when the project were evolving I was discovering more and more of the
powerfull Eclipse Platform API, and thus I discovered some mechanisms
available in JDT like Annotations, error autocorrection, problem markers,
task list views, Launchers, the Debug Framework, ... and so ...
So I decided to write a FULL IDE for Pic mcu's, .... this is why I have no
time to write the wrapper, ... and why I sated again that I'm 70% done.

Managing and integrating a Debugger using the eclipse infrastructure is lot
of work, I have achieved to write myDebugger for Pic in order to let user
interact wit source code, define watch variables, define breakpoints, ....
Step by Step walking throw source code, ...; What I need now is the
simulator core. and I have not enough time to do it because I want to
rewrite the background source codes parser in order to provide users with
high quality aucorrection suggestions, and in order to enhance the debugger
support.

> Actually, come to think of it, you haven't mention whether or not you plan
> to open the source. Do you?
The Project is (until now) named "Eclipse mcuStudio" ... When I'll release
the fist version I'll think about a well qualified name. I'll post (soon)
the roadmap.
The sources will be "open"....  :) sonn after the first release.
Now I'm rewriting the core of the plugin to make it fully independent of
MPASM asm opcodes. The aim is to provide an open infrastructure for the
developement of derived products, like editors for other mcus (other than
microchip ones).

To see at what it's already done, I'll post (within 48 hour i hope if I have
enough time) a full live demo (flash format). The first Alpha release is
planned at the April, 15th 2006.

Best regards

Ahmed LAZREG