gnupic: GNUPIC or not GNUPIC?

Subject: Re: GNUPIC or not GNUPIC?
From: Ian Carr-de Avelon ####@####.####
Date: 11 Apr 2001 14:15:22 -0000

Craig Franklin ####@####.#### wrote
>The GNU police are about to knock down my front door!!!!  I can hear the theme
I get a slight feeling of something vailed behind the nicerties too.
>to COPS in the distance.
Calculator Oriantated Processors? oops, showing my age.

I assume that GNU is a registred trade mark, so they _think_ they have
some legal basis for not putting this more along the lines of "you are already
called GNUPIC, please please please become part of GNU to help the movement."
I don't think they have the basis for anything. Does EMI have a case
against my company EMIT? Is PIC a registered trade mark of Arizona Microchip?
I guess it is. Better get exact details of their coding standards too. It
might turn out that you change things to keep the package's name and then
end up having to change it one day anyway, because the conditions which go
with GNU and PIC could never be compatible.
My feeling is that it is best to first get clear what the situation is. We
should ask them what the "or else" is. Once we know what the alternatives
involve:
staying as is, and facing rath of the FSF.
becomeing officially part of GNU. (and having a chance of FSF cash?)
changing the name.
we can decide how to proceed.

If, after full consideration we go the 3rd way, I vote we call it FreePIC
from here on.
Yours
Ian