gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Problem with stimuli..

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Problem with stimuli..
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 29 Mar 2006 22:42:56 +0100

Tobias Schlottke wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> thank you very much for explanations and hints.
> Finally I found my trap:
> gpsim seems to use one single namespace.

This is correct. The only exception are module attributes. Module
attributes are scoped by their module name. E.g. U1.rxbaud refers to the
baud rate register of the uart module named U1. At the moment, gpsim
does not really support multiple processors and modules only export pin
names. But if there is ever a situation where two modules have a pin
name that conflicts with a variable name in your source code, then gpsim
will emit an error. Hmm, that's bad.

> I understand that pins, stimuli and nodes have the same
> namespace. But I didnt know/expect that all symbols
> reside in one flat namespace. I had a symbol called
> 'track' defined with an 'equ'-assignment in my .cod
> file. That clashed with my node name. (That's the bit
> position of the port connect to my stimulus node).

That's bad.

> I downloaded today the top CVS version.
> I'm able to create stimuli but I have some strange
> effects:
> The cycle counter starts always with 2 after
> restart. The start_cycle option seems to have no
> effect for the first point, but the
> second and the following. The first point must be after
> cycle 4.

I hadn't notice that restart was advancing the cycle counter, but you
are correct! I'll look into this. This bug might explain why the first
sample in the stimulus is not working.

Scott