gnupic: Re: [gnupic] gplink and .lst files

Subject: Re: [gnupic] gplink and .lst files
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 30 Mar 2006 03:29:55 +0100

George M. Gallant, Jr. wrote:

>The problem arises when a one of the component asm files has the same
>base
>name as the linker output file. For example this is my typical:
>
>gpasm         graig,asm -> craig.o & craig.lst
>gpasm         i2c.asm -> i2c.o & i2c.lst
>
>gplink          qcraig.o + i2c.o -> craig.hex & craig.map

Ahh, there is the problem.  Why are you using the same name for both?
That must be confusing.

The list file isn't the only problem.  Both tools can also create and
delete cod, hex, and coff files.  When errors occur both tools delete
most of their output files.

Even if we change gputils like you have requested, this isn't a very
good practice.

>Identical sequences for 68k, ARM projects using the GNU tools.
>
>I have not used the Microchip tool set since gputils started supporting
>relocatable object files so I can not comment on their behavior,

Good point.  I don't remember what they do.

> but
>
>        ARC
>        DEC
>        Borland
>        SUN
>        Microsoft
>        GNU
>
>supply options to enable/disable features that only do what the writer
>requested.

That is not exactly what is happening here.  You have explicitly told
the tool to do something, -l.  The disagreement is over what -l should do.

I am not completely against changing it.  I would like to have a good
justification.  I don't view using the same name for a component and the
linker output as a good practice.  So it is tough to change it on that
basis.

>Since gputils has become quite stable :), the time required for me to
>hack
>gputils is not very long and perhaps I could post the mods on a private
>web page.

I will think about this and get back to you.