gnupic: Re: [gnupic] GCC port for PIC

Subject: Re: [gnupic] GCC port for PIC
From: "Colm O' Flaherty" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Apr 2006 08:24:42 +0100

Xiaofan,

I'm dubious sure that what Microchip (in your links) say about the legality
of using the library/header files/ linker scripts from the C30 package is
actually correct, or just misinformed.  Their offering is based on the gnu
cc compiler; is packaged and sold as a unit, and so *is* fully governed by
the GPL.  They've even included the standard header in their source code..

In short, the MPLAB C30 package *is* a derivative work of the GNU cc
compiler, and so Microchip cannot impose additional licence constraints, as
they seem to be doing. They are also required to make available the full
source for their package (not just the gnu-gcc portion), including the
source for the licence manager, etc.

As you rightly point out though, it might not be useful for getting a PIC14
/ PIC16 port up and running, but its food for thought, and interesting from
a coding point of view.. If you want a "free" / "open-source"  (ANSI
compliant) C compiler, the number of options are increasing, especially for
the newer chips. That can't be a bad thing.

<quote>
Subroutines for insn output for Microchip dsPIC30.
   Copyright (C) 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   Contributed by John Elliott ####@####.####

This file is part of GNU CC.

GNU CC is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option)
any later version.
</quote>

Now this is what the GPL has to say that is relevant..

Preamble:

This General Public License applies to most of the Free Software
Foundation's software and to any other program whose authors commit to
using it.

...if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have.  You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code.  And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights.

Section 0

0. This License applies to any program or other work which contains
a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed
under the terms of this General Public License.  The "Program", below,
refers to any such program or work, and a "work based on the Program"
means either the Program or any derivative work under copyright law:
that is to say, a work containing the Program or a portion of it,
either verbatim or with modifications and/or translated into another
language.

Section 1
You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee

Section 2
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1
above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

    a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
    stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.
If
identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works.  But when you
distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
this License

Section 6
You may not impose any further
restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.

Colm