gnupic: Re: [gnupic] GCC port for PIC

Subject: Re: [gnupic] GCC port for PIC
From: "Colm O' Flaherty" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Apr 2006 12:31:56 +0100

Alex,

When you say..

>If they haven't used any  GPLed code to create their library then the GPL
>doesn't apply to it.  Bundling gcc and their C library into one package is
>simply aggregation.

I just don't follow that logic at all.. It seems to completely ignore the
GPL clause that says the following  (How the distribution happens seems to
be the key).

<quote>
These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works.  But when you
distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.
</quote>

But hey, we can agree to differ, right?  :)

This discussion might also be better placed in the gcc list forum than
here..  (Its relevant here, but more relevant there).

Colm