gnupic: Re: [gnupic] gpsim building problem under FC5

Subject: Re: [gnupic] gpsim building problem under FC5
From: "Scott Dattalo" ####@####.####
Date: 14 May 2006 16:03:43 +0100

> On 5/14/06, Scott Dattalo ####@####.#### wrote:
>
>> > Now it breaks Ubuntu Breezy and FC5.
>>
>> It'll break under all OS's if you don't run configure after a new file
>> has
>> been added. :) Roy, one of the gpsim developers, has apparently just
>> added
>> support for the 16f88 and 16f87. He put this support into a new file
>> (src/p16f8x.cc). So you'll need to reconfigure the Makefiles.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> I did run  ./configure before make. I actually issued "make distclean"
> before that. However "make distclean; ./configure; make" gave the
> same error.

I should've been more clear when I said 'reconfigure the Makefiles'. This
involves running 'automake', which turns a 'Makefile.am' into a
'Makefile.in'. The 'configure' script will then turn a Makefile.in into a
plain old Makefile.

> So I deleted the gpsim directory and did a fresh svn checkout and now
> it works. I need to follow the following steps in gpsim website.
>
> $ libtoolize
> $ aclocal-1.9
> $ autoheader
> $ automake-1.9 --add-missing
> $ autoconf
> $ ./configure
> $ make
> $ sudo make install

And just to be clear, in the future you may wish to just apply these steps:

$ automake
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

>> BTW, if you find that you're recompiling a big project from time to
>> time,
>> you may wish to install ccache: http://ccache.samba.org/ . I believe
>> it's
>> already part of FC4/FC5. You can use it like this:
>>
>> CXX="ccache g++" ./configure
>>
>> The first time you 'make', the cache will get filled with the object
>> files. The next time you 'make', ccache will attempt to use object files
>> in the cache instead of recompiling them. It checks the dependencies to
>> make sure this is safe.
>>

> Thanks for the advice. Still will ccache help in this case since re-run
> ./configure is not enough? Luckily I have a relative fast computer
> (AMD64 3000+ and 2x512M DDR SDRAM) and it takes me less than
> 20 minutes to do all these (from fresh checkout to make install).

ccache is smart enough to look at dependencies beyond changes of date. If
you re-run everything and all of the resultant auto-created includes have
the same information, then ccache will fetch cached compilations (if
they're there)

Scott