gnupic: Re: Search Engine Registration

Subject: Re: Search Engine Registration
From: "Paul B. Webster VK2BZC" ####@####.####
Date: 30 Apr 2001 12:40:44 -0000

Alex Holden wrote:

> Following the "To unsubscribe.." instructions on spam is usually a
> bad idea because most of them just use it to confirm that the
> address is valid (ie. if you respond, the address is worth more to
> them because you've confirmed that it is a live account).

  Amen.

> Isn't 888 an American freephone code? Not that I would suggest that
> you do anything illegal of course, but wouldn't it be an interesting
> project to write a script that causes a voice modem to keep
> redialling a number and play loud screeching noises down the line
> whenever it's answered?

  What about Caller ID?

  It's a tricky business, but before you phone- or mail-bomb anyone,
as well as keeping your own rear protected, you have to make sure
they are the genuine target.

  "Reflex" service attacks are the norm nowadays, where spam is sent
nominating the address of a "mark" with a view to using the irate
replies to deliberately shut down the "mark".

  Revenge best left to the professionals, requires great care.
--
  Cheers,
        Paul B.