gnupic: Linux and PICs

Subject: Re: Linux and PICs
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 2001 13:58:39 -0000

On Mon, 14 May 2001, daniel sheltraw wrote:

> Hello PICers
>
> I am new to PIC microcontrollers and would like to learn to program
> them under the Linux OS. What do I need to start?

Anthony and Bill mentioned the places to go to get started. Just to summarize,
you'll need an assembler and a programmer. For the assembler, I'd recommend
gpasm since it is the most compatible to microchip's. Like Anthony, I'd
recommend PicStart+ and Andrew Pines Linux driver for it.

It might be useful for you to simulate your programs instead of constantly
programming a real chip. In which case, you'll want to grab gpsim.

These are the minimum tools required on the Linux side.

To become familiar with PICs you may want to join the PICLIST for a while (the
signal to noise ratio has been fairly low lately). This can expose you to the
issues with which PIC users are confronted. In addition, there are numerous
handy snippets that get posted there. You may want to also surf Microchip's
appnotes for detailed projects, or you may want to see http://www.piclist.com/
for specialized solutions.

Scott