gnupic: Re: [gnupic] GPSim Socket Interface

Subject: Re: [gnupic] GPSim Socket Interface
From: "octaloctal" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jul 2006 09:36:56 +0100

Hi Scott,
I tried the socket interface but it seems that GPSim response is always
"+ACK+ACK"  ....
is the Socket interface really working ?
I have found this comment in the Script folder :

/*
  Scripting

  client.cc - a program to demonstrate gpsim scripting.

  The purpose of this program is to demonstrate how one might write a
  script to perform regression testing on an algorithm. In this
  example, the algorithm is one that squares an 8-bit number. It is
  implemented in the PIC source code gensquares.asm.

  The scripting mechanism is implemented on top of a socket
  interface. When gpsim is started, it will act as a server and began
  listening to clients. This client will initiate the communication
  link. It probably goes with out saying, but gpsim needs to be
  running before this client script will even work!

  Once this client establishs a communication link, it will proceed to
  set up the simulation environment and perform a regression test.

  Technical details:

  The scripting interface is implemented with a gpsim specific
  protocol. This protocol is somewhat analogous to gdb's
  protocol. gpsim's protocol operates in two modes. In one mode,
  character strings are sent across the socket interface and sent
  through the command line parser. Thus, it's possible to issue any
  gpsim command through a socket that can be typed at the command
  line. As of this writing, this interface is only uni-directional
  though. In other words, the client can only issue commands, but
  can't see the response. However, the other mode of the protocol
  allows bi-directional communication. This other mode ties directly
  into gpsim symbols and attributes.

  In the attribute mode of the protocol, there are two ways to
  interface to the symbols. The first is by symbol name and the second
  is by a 'handle'. For either one of these, it's possible to read and
  write symbols. Handles are more efficient since they only have to be
  processed only one. Accessing by name on the other hand, requires
  string processing and symbol table accesses.

*/

and this one in the readme file there :
"NOTE: As of this writing, the Python scripts are not working!"

Are the Python scripts really working or not ?
can I use the socket interface Bidirectionnaly to issue command or must I
rewrite a wrapper arround the classes in files Protocol.xxx and
Client_Interface;xxx ???
best regards
http://www.pocketmt.com the mcuStudio home :)