gnupic: Re: [gnupic] About a USB programmer I found

Subject: Re: [gnupic] About a USB programmer I found
From: ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2006 20:29:17 +0100

Hello,

> 1) The 18F4550 requires a Vihh (programming voltage) of Vdd + 4.0V.
> So if you
> use my Trivial High Voltage Programmer
> (http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/proghvp.html)then instead of 13V
> you can use anywhere between 9V and 12V. The easiest voltage
> source probably would be a 15-16V wall wart and a LM7812 voltage
> regulator.
> 2) That schematic doesn't have any cable termination. One of my
> users discovered
> that grounding the shield through a small valued capacitor on the
> target side
> allows for long cables (longer than 2ft) to work.

Am. I though I could program it with my laptop's usb current

> Can you get temporary access to another machine with a parallel
> port? The good
> thing about using a bootloader is that programming it is a one time
> operation.So you don't need to keep a machine with another type of
> port, just use one
> long enough to get the bootloader into the PIC.

Yes I could. My sister went away with it when she married, but I could; though I'd need to buy the components, build up the circuit, install the software, etc.

> And you must still resolve the software issue. You asked about
> another path
> and I think one exists. Take a look at this page here:
>
> http://pic18fusb.online.fr/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=UsbBootload
>
> It's a detailed tutorial on building a PICDEM clone with
> Microchip's USB bootloader.
>
> Now there's Linux software to use this bootloader. You can find it
> here:
> http://www.internetking.org/fsusb

Cool, my gcc is a bit older (2.9.5.3), so it didn't compile on a first attempt because of nested unnamed structures on bootload.h. But as I'm a super-wise linux girl (jeje) managed to do it.

> Of course you're still stuck in the chicken/egg loop of getting the
> bootloaderonto the part. My THVP programmer with WinPicProg will do
> the job, but you need
> a parallel port to pull it off.

Ah. I was actually counting (or hoping) that the exe file would be a self-extracting zip so i could get the hex file from there.

So, if I build the picdem clone you pointed out --which looks really easy-- and access somehow to a bootload hex file for the 18f4550, could I do it with usb plus the needed power supply you say it needs?