gnupic: Re: [gnupic] picprog and amd64

Subject: Re: [gnupic] picprog and amd64
From: "Frank Sergeant" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Sep 2006 22:07:36 +0100

Jan Wagemakers ####@####.#### wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Are there people on this list that have succesfully used picprog
> <http://hyvatti.iki.fi/~jaakko/pic/picprog.html> on a amd64-PC?
>
> I ask this question because I maintain the picprog-debian package and have
> received this bugreport
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=387185>.

I don't know if this information will help, but ...

I am running Debian amd64 unstable.  I just installed the official
Debian picprog package to try it out.  Below I show what I get when I try to
access a PIC16F87 chip via /dev/ttyS1 in an Olimex PG2 programmer (a
"JDM" style serial programmer).  The first try does not specify the chip
(and fails).  The second try does specify the chip (and fails).

Also, note that the red LED on the PG2 does *not* light up.

When I try to "detect the chip" from the built-in pikdev programmer, it
also fails to detect the chip, but the red light *does* light up.

So, I am usually using a bootloader to download programs to the PIC16F87
but when I need to burn the bootloader into the PIC, I reboot to a
Debian x86 system (installed on a second harddrive hanging outside the
case) (and run pikdev).  I have never been sure if the problem is the
amd64 Linux itself or if it is because of weird interactions with my
particular motherboard (AMD64 ASUS A8N-VM CSM).  uname -a indicates that
I am running this kernel:

  2.6.17-3-7f143b-amd64-k8 #1 SMP Sun Jun 25 16:42:25 UTC 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So, in conclusion, I have trouble with both the pikdev programmer (with
both the PG2 serial programmer and with the PG3 parallel programmer) and
with picprog (with the PG2 serial programmer) under Debian amd64.

I also had trouble under Debian x86 with the same computer, but I no
longer remember whether it was with just the serial or just the parallel
programmers or with both, but I worked around it on the x86 but
installing 2.6.15-25-386 kernel (Debian or Ubuntu, I can't remember).

I'd be glad to hear if you solve the problem on the amd64, as it might
lead to my no longer needing to reboot periodically to the x86 version.
In hind sight, I think I wish I had just installed Debian x86 as my main
system.  Oh well.

--
Frank

frank@bed:~/pic/work/bootloader$ picprog --output ofile.hex --pic /dev/ttyS1
Picprog version 1.8.1, Copyright © 2006 Jaakko Hyvätti ####@####.####
Picprog comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
type `picprog --warranty'.  This is free software,
and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions;
type `picprog --copying' for details.

CPU clock speed: 1808 MHz
value: 0xffff version: 0xffff
/dev/ttyS1:ff0002:unable to read pic device id

frank@bed:~/pic/work/bootloader$ picprog --output ofile.hex --device=pic16f87 --pic /dev/ttyS1
Picprog version 1.8.1, Copyright © 2006 Jaakko Hyvätti ####@####.####
Picprog comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
type `picprog --warranty'.  This is free software,
and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions;
type `picprog --copying' for details.

Device pic16f87, program memory: 4096, data memory: 256.
CPU clock speed: 1808 MHz
Reading program memory,
/dev/ttyS1:PIC programmer missing or chip fault
0000:unable to read pic