gnupic: What programmer on linux notebook @ amd64?

Subject: What programmer on linux notebook @ amd64?
From: marcellus ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2006 16:40:02 +0100

I have quite big problems to find an appropriate programmer to program a
pic16f88 over icd2.
I have a notebook without eighter a serial nor a parallel port. So only usb
is left over. I could get an icd2 from a friend
who doesn't need it anymore. I already managed programming it in a vmware
with win2k and mplab, but the vmware sux.

Piklab does support icd2 over usb, but I dont know where to get the right
firmware for the icd2. Mplab has a firmware though, but its too new, piklab
gives out a warning when connecting to the icd2.

I too have a problem with running piklab in a user session, I don't want to
run x as root just to be able to program the pic.

I hope I get a reply soon, pic programming under linux seems not to be one
very common, so I haven't found anything that could help me.