gnupic: Re: [gnupic] pkp can't find pport

Subject: Re: [gnupic] pkp can't find pport
From: Gibaud Alain ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2006 08:11:06 +0000

Le Lundi 4 Décembre 2006 21:32, Maxim Wexler a écrit :
> Hi group,
>
> I want to use a PCI pport card which appears as 0xbc00 in dmesg. I can use
> parapin's inputtest and outputtest OK to send signals to/from it if I
> replace the default 0x378 w/ 0xbc00 in parapin.h.  It shows up as parport1
> in cat /proc/ioports and lp1(if that's supposed to be the same thing) in
> the /dev tree. I've tried both in .pkprc without success. I even tried
> giving it lp0. I get:
>
> $pkp
> Bad port specification /dev/lp0

Hi,

You have to use /dev/parportX (or /dev/parport/X) because pkp/pikdev
use ppdev parallel port driver (access to port from user mode)

> pkp:200:Hardware initialization error

Sorry, 200 does not mean anything.
It is the default error code ... when no error code is provided.
I know, it is silly ..
Your message simply means that your system lacks ppdev support.

> I'm assuming the 200 refers to the line number in pkp.cc but that message
> occurs at l. 218.
>
> here's
>
> $lsmod
> parport_pc             34244  2
> lp                     11460  0
> parport                36296  2 parport_pc,lp
>
> There are no /dev/parport* but there are /dev/lp0 and /dev/lp1. Do I need
> to make them manually? I thought udev took care of that these days.

Please see http://pikdev.free.fr
The "installation" section explain why ppdev is required and how to create
/dev/parport0

Alain