gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Multiple PICs with gpsim.

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Multiple PICs with gpsim.
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jan 2007 16:52:15 +0000

Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just starting out with PICs and will be sticking with gpsim and
> friends for development.  The project I've got in mind will end up with
> several PICs.  I see gpsim supports loadable modules for adding things
> like LEDs to the simulation.  Is the PIC itself emulated as a module,
> i.e. can I wire together a couple of PICs?
>
> From a skim of the manual, I'd guess not, in which case has anyone tried
> connecting multiple gpsims together using OS facilities, with each one
> emulating one PIC?

Hi Ralph,

Currently gpsim cannot simulate multiple PICs at once. However, adding
this feature has been one of my long term goals.

You are correct that each PIC is like a loadable module. Unfortunately
gpsim treats the processors different than the modules. There are two
significant areas where this is problem. First, the simulation time is
in the context of a processor. If there are two (or more) processors
then gpsim cannot model time. I'm in the process of fixing that
limitation. Over the last few months I've redesigned the way a processor
is clocked. This work has been divided into two phases. The first phase
was to provide a mechanism within the context of the processor whereby
time can be advanced. That's done. The next phase is to move the global
time keeper (Cycle_Counter class) into the Processor class and create a
new global time keeper that's capable of clocking individual processors.

Check out this thread for a more detailed discussion:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=30948636&forum_id=10321

The other significant problem gpsim has  for simulating multiple
processors is the user interface. Both the command line and gui assume
there is only one processor. I think I can fix the command line easy
enough. However, the gui is going to be rather difficult to handle. And
quite frankly, I don't what to do about the gui.

Scott