gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Multiple PICs with gpsim.

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Multiple PICs with gpsim.
From: "Scott Dattalo" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jan 2007 15:33:17 +0000

> As for UI, I noticed the proprietary closed-source Proteus VSM says
>
>     http://www.labcenter.co.uk/index.html?/products/vsm_overview.htm
>
>     "VSM can even simulate designs containing multiple CPUs, since it is
>     a simple enough matter to place two or more processors on a
>     schematic and wire them together."
>
> There's various screen shots on the web site.  Perhaps that gives some
> ideas.

Hi Ralph,

Proteus looks like a very nice product. When I look at it I do get a
couple of ideas. One idea is that if I wrote gpsim full time instead of
part time that after a year or two of programming I *might* have something
that approaches the gui features of Proteus! But seriously, I've long
decided that gui programming requires an artistic talent - and this is
something I largely lack. I can definitely fill in details and make
improvements to a pre-existing gui. gpsim's current design was mostly
created by Ralf Forsberg. I've made several enhancements along the way,
but the fundamental design is the same as it was way back in 2000.

Perhaps a more improved gui can come about by combining efforts with
others?  For example, KtechLab, PicLab, and gpsim are all different
projects but with some overlapping functionality. I've been watching the
gEDA project over the years and witnessed how enough critical mass was
created to merge the efforts of several very talented individuals. Perhaps
we could motivate a similar effort for PIC development, or even more
generally for microcontroller development?

I'd be willing to participate and even coordinate such an effort. But it'd
take much more than just me!

Does anybody have ideas or suggestions?

Scott