gnupic: Trouble getting cvs-version to fly

Subject: Re: Trouble getting cvs-version to fly
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 21 Jul 2001 01:23:24 -0000

Mike Crowe wrote:

> Hi all
> I have downloaded the latest release (0.9.8) and have been able to get
> it to compile.

Good.

> I am having problems getting the cvs version that I am
> using to compile properly.  The error message is:
> cod.c: In function `init_DirBlock':
> cod.c:158 parse error before "VERSION"
> I am sure that it is a minor problem,

Strange.

What you are refering to as a problem, has to be a cvs checkout
problem.  Maybe config.h is not found?

> but the question is really this.
> Why can't the cvs version support the entire code branch (lib, doc,
> examples,....)?

Not sure what you mean.

I haven't committed any changes to cvs since the 0.9.8 release.  I don't
think Scott has either.

I use the cvs version to generate the distributions.  They are
identical.  Sounds like cvs checkout problems.

> In order to get it to compile to this point I really
> had to manipulate subdirectories from the latest code release and the
> cvs versions.

Thats the problem.

You don't have to manipulate anything in cvs to get it to compile.

The tree is defined by configure.in and the root Makefile.am.  If you
move things around without altering their content, the project will not
compile.

The cvs structure could be improved to make it a little more developer
friendly, but it is not broken.

Maybe the instructions on the home page are flawed.  I will review them
this weekend and find/fix the problem.

Until then...

Sounds like you want to mess with the sources.  I recommend the
following:

tar -zxf gpasm-0.9.8.tar.gz
cp -R gpasm-0.9.8 gpasm-0.9.8.orig
"make your changes to gpasm-0.9.8"
diff -ur gpasm-0.9.8.orig gpasm-0.9.8 > mypatch.diff