gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Re: debugging gpasm

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Re: debugging gpasm
From: "David Barnett" ####@####.####
Date: 21 Mar 2007 14:00:24 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Byron A Jeff" ####@####.####
To: ####@####.####
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 6:13 AM

> My instant gut thought is first think through what the common usage would
> be
> and figure out if the current infrastructure can support it. A complete
> overhaul would be painful I think.
You are right, "overhaul" may be a bit exaggerated.  I thought from looking
at the problem description that it would be a superficial change, and it
turned out to be a little more involved.  There may be some pretty
fundamental changes involved, but I'll still have to figure some more of the
architecture out before I can get to it.

BTW, I've found gdb to be pretty useful for making some sense of unfamiliar
code.  I'm getting sort of off-topic here, but are there any other tricks
that anyone finds particularly helpful?  For instance, I've played with
cscope a little bit.  I've heard using an IDE can help, too, but I've always
just programmed in vi.  A friend told me that reading through source code
doesn't help much and you just have to dive in and start changing stuff to
see how it changes the program's operation.

I also found a book called "Code Reading" by Diomidis Spinellis that claims
to help with that task, but from reviews and the sample chapter, I gather
that it's just basic programming tips and not worth the read.  Sean Egan
also wrote a book about his work on Gaim that got much better reviews and
supposedly talks about general techniques.  Can books help that much with
learning to work on other people's code?

I ask all this because I've been trying to get involved in several projects
in the past and always found it too overwhelming.  I never wanted to bother
people with the details in the past, but I figured this is as good a place
to ask as any.

David