gnupic: Re: [gnupic] gpasm memory leaks

Subject: Re: [gnupic] gpasm memory leaks
From: "David Barnett" ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2007 23:36:45 +0100

A status update on the memory leaks for those interested: I've fixed a few
and rearranged a few of them.  Two of them were just careless mistakes, but
several will take some serious rearranging, and for those I looked at today,
I just moved the responsibility for allocation up a stack frame or two
(closer to the frame that should be responsible for deallocation) and added
comments to point out those memory leaks.  I know that sounds
confusing...basically I made the caller pass a pointer to allocated memory
down instead of the callee returning the allocated block.  I had a real
headache when I finished with all the changes and learned that C doesn't
directly support pass-by-reference =(.  To actually fix those leaks, I'll
need to do some more involved rearranging, but I'm trying to focus on one
change at a time so I don't forget something major.  BTW, for those
experienced with fixing memory leaks in C, is the technique of passing a
reference/pointer down instead of returning one up a common fix?  How does
that work for string and array functions where the callee determines the
length dynamically?

Also, it's been a while since I've used CVS, so I have a stupid question: Is
there an equivalent to "SVN diff -u" that will diff all files under version
control that changed in a directory or its subdirectories?  I can only find
very roundabout ways of doing so, and it makes it very hard for me to keep
up with the changes I've made.  I don't know how I used to manage without
SVN...

David Barnett