gnupic: Re: [gnupic] linux dev tools question....

Subject: Re: [gnupic] linux dev tools question....
From: "David Barnett" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jun 2007 18:39:32 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay Dagenais" ####@####.####
To: ####@####.####
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:17 PM
Subject: [gnupic] linux dev tools question....

> Hi folks, I am trying to develop for pic16f series parts under linux
> because I have recently discovered that MPLAB under windows has been
> playing games with my firwall and shutting down my connection everytime I
> try to kill its transmissions back to 'home-base'.
That's a strange reason.  I don't think MPLAB does anything unusual in that
regard.  Anyway, welcome to the community.

> I have pikdev and gputils installed, and have playued around a little with
> it just to see if it is spitting out identical hex- it is of course so
> thats cool. One things that I am missing is the simulator, which I found
> to be a large asset under MPLAB-- I recall seeing that there was a linux
> based sim but cannot seem to locate it anymore- this was a few years ago I
> believe.... Can anyone point the way to the sim?
It's called gpsim.  It's been pretty actively maintained since then, with a
bit of a lull lately from the maintainer being flat-out busy.  He's in the
process of making some big improvements, and I think he's still planning to
pick it up again in the near future.

> will it integrate with pikdev IDE or am I stuck with console op?
I haven't used pikdev myself, but I think I've heard there's native gpsim
integration.  Either way, you're not stuck with a console program because
gpsim has a built-in GUI front-end.  Still, I kinda like the console
operation when I can get by with it.

> Also, does anyone know how much modifications one would typically expect
> to make when attempting to compile C code written for the old C2C
> compiler?
That depends what C compiler you move to.  The BoostC compiler from
Sourceboost is supposed to be the most compatible with C2C code, but it's
not free and I don't think they've released a linux version yet (there has
been discussion on their forum).  Beyond that, I can't say how difficult the
move will be for your C code, but there are times when it's quite painful
finding out what your new C compiler or assembler doesn't support.

HTH.
David Barnett