gnupic: Re: [gnupic] PIC32 C32 GCC Source Code Released

Subject: Re: [gnupic] PIC32 C32 GCC Source Code Released
From: "Xiaofan Chen" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Nov 2007 01:28:57 +0000

On 11/7/07, Xiaofan Chen ####@####.#### wrote:
> On 11/7/07, Peter Stuge ####@####.#### wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 07:51:14AM +0800, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> > > The following terms shall apply to Standard Library files:
> >
> > Can these files be re-distributed freely?
> > In that case it would be simple to include them in a pic32mx-gcc
> > package.
> >

> I do not think the headers and the C peripheral libraries are freely
> redistributable (they are so called IP of Microchip). Some of the C
> libraries are covered by BSD license and are freely redistributable.
> Some of the others are covered by MIPS license and I am not so
> sure about them.

For your reference: full MPLAB C32 License Agreement is enclosed.
I am not a lawyer. ;-)

From the License MPLAB_C32_Compiler_License.rtf:

IMPORTANT:
MICROCHIP IS WILLING TO LICENSE THE MPLAB(R) C32 C COMPILER SOFTWARE
AND ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION OFFERED TO YOU ONLY ON THE CONDITION
THAT YOU ACCEPT ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TERMS.  TO ACCEPT THE TERMS OF
THIS LICENSE, CLICK "I ACCEPT" AND PROCEED WITH THE DOWNLOAD OR
INSTALL.  IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE LICENSE TERMS, CLICK "I DO NOT
ACCEPT," AND DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE.

NON-EXCLUSIVE SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT
FOR MICROCHIP MPLAB(R) C32 C COMPILER SOFTWARE

This Nonexclusive Software License Agreement ("Agreement") is a
contract between you, your heirs, successors and assigns ("Licensee")
and Microchip Technology Incorporated, a Delaware corporation, with
its principal place of business at 2355 W. Chandler Blvd., Chandler,
AZ 85224-6199, and its subsidiary, Microchip Technology (Barbados)
Incorporated (collectively, "Company") for the Company's MPLAB C32 C
Compiler software accompanying this Agreement ("Software") and
accompany documentation ("Documentation").

Except as provided below, "Software" shall include associated media,
printed materials, "online" or electronic documentation

The Software and Documentation are licensed under this Agreement and
not sold.  U.S. copyright laws and international copyright treaties,
and other intellectual property laws and treaties protect the Software
and Documentation.  Microchip reserves all rights not expressly
granted to Licensee in this Agreement.

1.  LICENSE GRANT.

(a)  Subject to all of the terms of this Agreement, Company grants
Licensee a personal, worldwide, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable,
non-transferable limited license to install Software on a single
computer and use the Software with Company 32-bit microcontroller
products ("Company Products").  Licensee may modify source code
provided by the Company, if any, solely for your internal use
consistent with the terms of this Agreement.

Licensee may not modify the Software, create derivatives or reverse
engineer (by disassembly, decompilation, translation, or otherwise)
Software and may not copy or reproduce all or any portion of Software,
except to the extent that such activity is specifically allowed by
this Agreement or expressly permitted by applicable law
notwithstanding the foregoing limitations.

All copies of the Software created by Licensee or for Licensee must
include the copyright, trademark and other proprietary notices as they
appear on the original.  Licensee may not remove or alter any
identifying screen that is produced by the Software.

(b)  Subject to the terms of this Agreement, Company grants strictly
to Licensee a personal, worldwide, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable,
non-transferable limited license to use the Documentation in support
of Licensee's authorized use of the Software.

2.  OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE.  Notwithstanding the license grant in
Section 1 above, Licensee acknowledges that certain components of the
Software may be covered by so-called "open source" software licenses
("Open Source Components"), which means any software licenses approved
as open source licenses by the Open Source initiative or any
substantially similar licenses, including without limitation any
license that, as a condition of distribution of the software licensed
under such license, requires that the distributor make the software
available in source code format.

To the extent required by the licenses covering Open Source
Components, the terms of such license will apply in lieu of the terms
of this Agreement, and Company hereby represents and warrants that the
licenses granted to such Open Source Components will be no less broad
than the license granted in Section 1.  To the extent the terms of the
licenses applicable to Open Source Components prohibit any of the
restrictions in this Agreement with respect to such Open Source
Component, such restrictions will not apply to such Open Source
Component.

For purposes of clarity:

(a)  The assembler, binary utilities, compiler, and linker components
of the Software are derived from Free Software Foundation ("FSF") code
governed by the GNU General Public License ("GPL").

For copies of the GPL go to http://www.fsf.org.

(b)  "libgcc.a" and "libgcov.a" library files are derived from FSF
code governed by the GPL provided, however, that a binary exception
clause covering these library files applies, which states: "In
addition the permissions in the GNU General Public License, the Free
Software Foundation gives you unlimited permission to link the
compiled version of this file into combinations with other programs,
and to distribute those combinations without any restriction coming
from the use of this file."

For a complete machine-readable copy of the source code corresponding
to the files listed at Section 2(a)-(b) above, refer to the Company's
website or mail your request and $100 to Microchip Technology Service
Center, 2100 West 14th Street, Tempe, AZ 85281.

3.  THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE.  Notwithstanding the license grant in
Section 1 above, Licensee acknowledges that "libc.a," "libm.a," and
"libe.a" library files (hereafter referred to as, "Standard Library
Files") are covered by third party licenses, as described below.  To
the extent required by the licenses for Standard Library Files, the
terms of such license will apply in lieu of the terms of this
Agreement.  To the extent the terms of the licenses applicable to
Standard Library Files prohibit any of the restrictions in this
Agreement with respect to such Standard Library Files, such
restrictions will not apply to such Standard Library Files.

The Standard Library Files are derived from software developed by the
Company, MIPS Technologies, and/or the University of California,
Berkeley and its contributors.  The following terms shall apply to
Standard Library files:

(a)  With respect to the portions of the Standard Library Files
derived from software developed by MIPS Technologies ("MIPS Files"),
Licensee agrees that use as described in Section 1 is permitted
provided that Licensee complies with the remaining terms of this
Agreement including the terms of subparagraphs (i)-(ii) of this
Section 3(a):

(i)   All copies and derivatives works of MIPS Files shall contain all
copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the MIPS Files;
and

(ii)  If the Company, in its sole discretion, provides Licensee a copy
of MIPS Files source code, Licensee agrees to grant and does hereby
grant to Company and MIPS Technologies a perpetual, irrevocable,
non-exclusive worldwide, royalty-free, fully-paid up right and license
(including the right to sublicense and grant further sublicensing
rights) under Licensee's intellectual property rights in any
modifications to the MIPS Files to extent that the Company and MIPS
Technologies may use, modify and create derivative works from such
modifications in conjunction with making, using, offering for sale and
selling or otherwise distributing products (which may include such
modifications and derivatives thereof), and sublicensing the rights
granted in this Section 3(a)(ii) in order to provide a freedom to use
such modifications when created by Licensee.

(b)  With respect to the portions of the Standard Library Files
derived from software developed by the University of California,
Berkeley and its contributors ("BSD Files"), Licensee agrees that  use
as described in Section 1 is permitted provided that Licensee complies
with the remaining terms of this Agreement including the terms of
subparagraphs (i)-(iii) of this Section 3(b):

(i)  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce all copyright
notices and other proprietary notices appearing in the BSD Files, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution;

(ii)  Neither the name of the University nor the names of its
contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
the BSD Files without specific prior written permission; and

(iii)  BSD FILES ARE PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND ITS CONTRIBUTORS "AS
IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO PROCUREMENT OF
SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS; OR
BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWSOEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THE BSD
FILES, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

4.  OWNERSHIP AND TITLE.  All right, title and interest, including
intellectual property rights, in and to Software, implementation of
the Software in microcontrollers, and hardware and software
implementations of Software shall remain in Company and its licensors.
 Licensee will not obtain ownership rights to any derivatives of
Software, and by accepting the terms of this Agreement assigns any
such rights to Company and its licensors that Licensee does receive.
Except as specifically stated in the Agreement, Licensee is granted no
other rights, express or implied, to the Software or other Company
intellectual property such as trade secrets, patents, copyrights, and
trademarks.

5.  CONFIDENTIALITY.  Licensee agrees (i) to use the Software only as
necessary to exercise its rights or fulfill its obligations under this
Agreement; (ii) to implement reasonable procedures to prohibit
disclosure, unauthorized duplication or misuse of the Software; and
(iii) not to disclose Software to employees not having a need to know
or to any third party.  Without limiting the foregoing, Licensee shall
at all times protect the Software with at least the same standard of
care as it exercises to protect its own confidential information of
like importance, but in no event less than reasonable care.  The
obligation of confidentiality under this Agreement shall not apply to
the extent that Software is or becomes rightfully known by Licensee
through disclosure from a third party without an obligation to
maintain its confidentiality, is or becomes generally known to the
public through no fault of Licensee, or is independently developed by
Licensee without use of the Software.

6.  BENCHMARKING.  This Agreement does not prevent you from using the
Software for internal benchmarking purposes.  However, Licensee shall
treat any and all benchmarking data relating to the Software, and any
other results of Licensee's use or testing of the Software that are
indicative of its performance, efficacy, reliability or quality, as
confidential information and Licensee shall not disclose such
information to any third party without the Company's express written
permission.  The foregoing restriction applies to benchmarking data
that relates to the Software as a whole or any portion thereof,
including any Open Source Components and Standard Library Files, and
such restriction is a condition to exercising the licenses granted
herein in the Software, but will not be deemed a condition to the use
of any Open Source Components, to the extent such restriction would be
prohibited by the license applicable to such Open Source Components.

7.  TERMINATION OF AGREEMENT.  Without prejudice to any other rights,
Company or licensors may terminate this Agreement if Licensee fails to
comply with the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Upon
termination, Licensee will stop using the Software and immediately
destroy all copies of the Software.

8.  DANGEROUS APPLICATIONS. Licensee warrants that Licensee will not
use Software in a dangerous, hazardous, or life supporting application
where the failure of such application could lead directly to death,
personal injury, or environmental damage, without the express prior
written consent of the Company.

9.  INDEMNITY.  Licensee will indemnify and hold Company and its
licensors, its related companies and its suppliers, harmless for, from
and against, any claims, costs (including attorney's fees), damages or
liabilities, including without limitation product liability claims,
arising out of (a) use and distribution of the Software, or (b)
violation of this Agreement.

10.  NO WARRANTY.  TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, COMPANY AND
ITS LICENSORS PROVIDE SOFTWARE "AS IS" AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY
WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.  YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK
ARISING OUT  OF USE OR PERFORMANCE OF SOFTWARE.COMPANY AND ITS
LICENSORS ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR ERRORS OR
OMISSIONS OF SOFTWARE AND DO NOT WARRANT THE FOLLOWING: (A) THE
FUNCTIONS CONTAINED IN SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (B) THE
OPERATION OF SOFTWARE WILL BE  UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, OR (C) ANY
DEFECTS IN SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED.

11.  PATENT AND COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.  SUBJECT TO THE CONDITIONS
STATED IN THIS SECTION 11 AND THE FOLLOWING SECTION 12 REGARDING
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY, COMPANY WILL DEFEND ANY SUIT OR PROCEEDING
BROUGHT AGAINST YOU TO THE EXTENT IT IS BASED ON A CLAIM THAT SOFTWARE
MANUFACTURED AND SUPPLIED BY THE COMPANY TO YOU CONSTITUTES DIRECT
INFRINGEMENT OF A PATENT OR COPYRIGHT ("CLAIM"), EXCEPT WHERE THE
ALLEGED CLAIM IS BASED ON: (A) THE COMPANY'S COMPLIANCE WITH YOUR
DESIGNS OR SPECIFICATIONS; (B) YOUR USE OF SOFTWARE IN COMBINATION
WITH ANY OTHER PRODUCT OR PROCESS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO
INTEGRATING SOFTWARE INTO A SYSTEM, WHETHER DIRECT OR CONTRIBUTORY
INFRINGEMENT; (C) MODIFICATION OF SOFTWARE AFTER COMPANY DELIVERED IT;
(D) YOUR USE OF SOFTWARE IN A MANNER FOR WHICH IT IS NOT DESIGNED; OR
(E) OPEN SOURCE COMPONENTS OR THE STANDARD LIBRARY FILES.

12.  LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.

A.  IN GENERAL.  TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT
WILL COMPANY OR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR BREACH OF
STATUTORY DUTY), STRICT LIABILITY, INDEMNITY, CONTRIBUTION OR
OTHERWISE, FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE,
OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS, DAMAGE, COST OR EXPENSE OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER,
HOWSOEVER CAUSED, OR ANY LOSS OF PRODUCTION, COST OF PROCUREMENT OF
SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SOFTWARE, LOSS OF SERVICES, LOSS OF CAPITAL, LOSS
OF SOFTWARE, LOSS OF USE OR DATA, LOSS OF PROFIT, LOSS OF REVENUES,
CONTRACTS, BUSINESS, COST OF REWORK, LOSS OF GOODWILL OR ANTICIPATED
SAVINGS, WASTED EXPENSES, OR WASTED MANAGEMENT TIME, EVEN IF COMPANY
OR ITS LICENSORS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THEIR POSSIBILITY OR THEY ARE
FORESEEABLE.

B.  AGGREGATE LIMIT OF LIABILITY.  SUBJECT TO SECTIONS ABOVE REGARDING
LIMITED PRODUCT LIABILITY, PATENT AND COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT, AND THIS
SECTION 12 (PARAGRAPHS A, C, AND D), THE COMPANY AND ITS LICENSORS
TOTAL AGGREGATE LIABILITY IN CONTRACT, WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY), STRICT LIABILITY,
INDEMNITY, CONTRIBUTION, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL NOT EXCEED THE LICENSE
FEE PAID FOR THE SOFTWARE.

C.  DEATH AND PERSONAL INJURY.  NOTHING IN THIS ACKNOWLEDGMENT SHALL
EXCLUDE OR LIMIT THE LIABILITY OF EITHER PARTY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL
INJURY ARISING FROM NEGLIGENCE OR ANY OTHER LIABILITY NOT EXCLUDABLE
BY LAW.

D.  YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR PRODUCTS AND PROCESSES.  WITHOUT AFFECTING
THE COMPANY'S RESPONSIBILITIES TO YOU UNDER THIS ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND TO
THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE SOLELY
RESPONSIBLE FOR: (I) ANY PRODUCT OR PROCESS USING OR INCORPORATING THE
SOFTWARE; (II) TESTING THE SOFTWARE AND DETERMINING THEIR SUITABILITY
FOR YOUR APPLICATION, PRODUCT OR PROCESS; AND (III) DETERMINING
WHETHER YOUR PRODUCTS OR SYSTEMS USING SOFTWARE INFRINGE THIRD-PARTY
PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS, OR OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHTS.

13.  SURVIVAL.  Sections 2, 4-10, 12-17 shall survive termination of
this Agreement.  Further, Licensee's obligation not to modify, reverse
engineer, copy or reproduce Software as described in Section 1 above
shall survive termination of this Agreement.

14.  CHOICE OF LAW; VENUE; LIMITATIONS ON CLAIMS.  Licensee agrees
that this Agreement and any conflicts regarding Software, shall be
construed, interpreted and governed by the laws of the State of
Arizona, U.S.A. without regard to any conflict of laws provision.
Licensee agrees that any litigation will be subject to the exclusive
jurisdiction of the state or federal courts in Arizona, U.S.A.
Licensee agrees that regardless of any law to the contrary, any cause
of action related to or arising out of this Agreement or Software must
be filed within one year after such cause of action arose, or be
considered waived.

15.  EXPORT COMPLIANCE.  Licensee's use of Software must comply with
all U.S. laws, restrictions and regulations. Licensee shall not
violate export restrictions of the U.S. Department of Commerce or
other United States or foreign agency or authority.

16.  ASSIGNMENT.  Neither this agreement nor any rights, licenses or
obligations hereunder, may be assigned by Licensee without the prior
written approval of the Company.

17.  ENTIRE AGREEMENT, MODIFICATIONS AND WAIVER.  This Agreement
constitutes the entire agreement of the parties with respect to the
subject matter of this Agreement, and merges and supersedes all
communications relating to this subject matter, whether written or
oral.  Except as expressly set forth in this Agreement, no
modification of this Agreement will be effective unless made in
writing signed by Company or licensors.  No failure or delay by
Company or its licensors to assert any rights or remedies arising from
a breach of this Agreement shall be construed as a waiver or a
continuing waiver of such rights and remedies, nor shall failure or
delay to assert a breach be deemed to waive that or any other breach.
If any part of this Agreement is found by a court of competent
jurisdiction to be invalid, unlawful or unenforceable then such part
shall be severed from the remainder of this Agreement and replaced
with a valid provision that comes closest to the intention underlying
the invalid provision.

License Rev. No. 1-032307