gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Nice to have: GPASM extensions

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Nice to have: GPASM extensions
From: Mauricio Giovagnini ####@####.####
Date: 21 Mar 2008 11:57:17 -0000

Vaclav Peroutka escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I use gpasm and found that it would be nice to have following features:
> - Message [302] to display which register name is not in Bank0 - no need to look back into ASM source
>    (ideal state would be if gpasm can check the RP0 and RP1 bits)

I think checking the RP0 and RP1 bits itself to check if the code is ok
or not can be tricky, and could cause more harm than what it could help.

For example your code could set those bits in other routines and then
you call a subroutine where you don't have those bits set.  Should it
display a warning? How can it be sure about the RP0 and RP1 status?

If your code is simple and linear then it will work, but if your code is
full of interrupts and subroutines that are called often, then I think
is not a good idea.

A newbie user could trust in the "smart" gpasm bank bits checking
without realizing that his code indeed... will not work.

I think that displaying a warning that the variable is not defined in
BANK0 is enough, as its done in MPASM.

--
Mauricio Giovagnini (Maunix)
Sitio Web: www.maunix.com.ar