gnupic: Current state of Linux Dev Tools for Microchip

Subject: Current state of Linux Dev Tools for Microchip
From: "John O.Battle" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Aug 2008 19:53:49 -0000

A few years ago, I finally gave up trying to make Microchip tools work
under Linux and just built a machine toi run (ugh) Windows XP just so I
could run MPLAB.  As a result, I haven't been keeping up with the GNUPIC
mailing list lately and had just lapsed into using that machine for most
of my computing.

A couple of months ago, I started working on a new project out here
(NASA Jet Prop Lab) and they told me I had to do everything on UBUNTU
LINUX, so I happily reformatted my hard drive and put UBUNTU on it.
What a great surprise when almost everything worked exactly as it was
supposed to.  The only exception is, again, MPLAB. So after trying
several times to get MPLAB to work under wine (numerous nagging errors
and I can't figure out how to make the ICD-2 work) I gave up once again.

But.....it started me to wondering if anyone has had any success in
building a programming environment as a native Linux app for the
Microchip parts.  I see the mailing list is alive and well, so is there
an App now or what?  How do people develop microchip stuff (especially
dsPIC) under Linux.  I understand there is a port of the C compiler and
tools but I still don't know how to program a part or debug.

Thanks

John Battle (N4OE)
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory