gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Current state of Linux Dev Tools for Microchip

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Current state of Linux Dev Tools for Microchip
From: "Xiaofan Chen" ####@####.####
Date: 2 Aug 2008 01:02:52 -0000

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:29 AM,  ####@####.#### wrote:
> The PICkit2 is supported under linux by Microchip.  It can program a
> growing number of devices.  We also have a debug version of the
> firmware.  I don't know if that firmware is supported for linux.

The firmware is not the problem. The problem is the debugging
interface (API, or COM interface with MPLAB, or whatever it is called)
is kept as a secret by Microchip.

PICkit 2 as a programmer is well supported by pk2cmd V1.12.
It works under Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. I have also
got it to mostly works under FreeBSD 7 with an alternative
USB stack to be merged into main line kernel.

> Linux is on the roadmap in dev tools so all the tools will receive
> support eventually but that is not going to happen soon.

Nice to know that.

Xiaofan