gnupic: gpsim: TMR0 has 3 nibbles?

Subject: Re: gpsim: TMR0 has 3 nibbles?
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 6 Sep 2001 15:08:08 -0000

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, John Sutton wrote:

> Scott,
>
> Thanks! After 2 days of grief with readline and gtk+extra I've managed to build
> 0.20.12.  (You need to update your web site to tell people that 0.20.12
> needs a gtk+extra later than 0.99.9 because .9 does not contain gtkplotdata.h
> which is referenced in gui/gui_profile.c.  I'm using .16)

Done. BTW, that info is hopelessly buried in the README/INSTALL docs. Not
too useful for the people installing by RPM.

> And as hoped, the bug is fixed ;-)

Great!

> While I have your attention, can I ask what facilites are currently available
> for logging outputs.  I've seen the trace facility but I can't see how to dump
> it to a file?  And in any case, it's a bit too verbose to be easily processed.
> What we really need is a dump of instruction cycle count against output latch
> state for a given output.  We can then use this to draw a graph.  Maybe the
> gtk+extra stuff is about drawing graphs of outputs?  I'd appreciate any pointers
> to relevant documents.

There's an unannounced feature in the trace logger that will dump to a log
file. It's currently lying domant. The problem with it is that it
generates way too much data. In a matter of seconds you can easily
generate a 100Meg log file!

As you note, the log files are very verbose. gpsim logs nearly everything
it does. So for file logging to be useful, I see two features that need to
be added:

 1 - Logging Filter
   This will allow you to choose what things get stored in the logfile

 2 - Structured reporting
   This will an external parser to easily interpret the info present in
   the log file.

Any others?

Several times I've looked at adding plotting support to gpsim. It
certainly has its appeal, but I've always backed away. I like the
flexibility that an integrated wave viewer provides. It's interactive (or
can be made so), it can be customized (e.g. you may want to have the wave
viewer decode a pulse train the way a UART would), etc.. Third party tools
such as gtkwave or gwave are promising alternatives. gwave in particular
is nice in that it's possible to customize it with guile scripts.

Scott