gnupic: Re: [gnupic] gpdasm 0.13.6 alpha question

Subject: Re: [gnupic] gpdasm 0.13.6 alpha question
From: David Barnett ####@####.####
Date: 18 Mar 2009 13:00:34 -0000

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Peter Keller ####@####.#### wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 03:44:20PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > > We have some real issues with our testing framework (which is just a
> > > few shell scripts), so do whatever you'd like to the test system as
> > > long as we're still testing everything our current tests do.
> >
> > Just want to mention http://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/manual/ here in
> > case it's useful.
>
> So what things do you *need* the test framework to do that it doesn't do
> now? After reading the wiki page, the only thing I see so far is that you
> could catagorize failures in such a manner as to easily decide on whether
> or not you should halt a release depending upon what broke.

Yeah, it's not unusable as it is, just really confusing for people who
haven't used it before (due to the gpasm.mchip failures). It doesn't *need*
a complete overhaul. It's whatever you feel like doing, if anything.

Anything else you'd specifically like? Html/human output of results? That
> sort of thing?

Nothing specific. I wasn't trying to burden you with a bunch of
requirements, just to suggest some ideas. I'd like them to be easy to run,
whatever you read that to mean, but I'd say to dive in and tinker with what
we have, see if you notice anything else you'd like to work differently, and
see how far you can get with it.

I personally have no objections to using dejagnu (though, is tcl/tk going
> to be around a while? It seems to be falling out of favor with the hacker
> community.)...

I personally don't have a strong preference. My impression of tcl/tk is that
it's never been huge in the mainstream, but that it has a wide following for
testing in the *nix community because the expect tool works so well (or so I
hear).

> ...does it support a particularly nice feature that you folks want
> incorporated?

I only suggested it because Craig (I think) suggested it in the TODO doc.
Ralph might be able to answer that for us.

> Also, what should I check out to do my work? The trunk?

I always work out of trunk/gputils. The top-level directories (under trunk)
are fairly self-contained.

> Any words of wisdom before I start tinkering with stuff?

Yeah, first off, the tests are your friend. Don't fret about whether you've
broken something, just run the tests. If they pass and you still think
something's screwy, try adding one that fails. Second, think by coding.
Don't outsmart yourself trying to plan ahead for everything. Just get an
idea, go with it, and see how far you can get with it.

Good luck!
David