gnupic: PK2 resources for beginners who would like to achieve something

Subject: Re: PK2 resources for beginners who would like to achieve something
From: Peter Restall ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jun 2009 07:45:32 -0000

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 04:28:13 +0000, Darwin Pintado wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I purchased a pk2 programmer 3-years ago and I thought I will be able to
> learn it fast but I wrong. Until now, I haven't programmed it nor did any
> projects. I want to create projects but I can't start I don't know where to
> start if I want to make mechanical based projects.
> I know there were alot of reference by googling but most are complicated for
> a starter like me. Can someone point me to the right resources?
>
> Many thanks,

Good morning,

You're probably going to have to be more specific to get any replies; just for
starters you would probably need to tell us things like:

	- Have you written any code for one of these devices ?
	- Have you written any code for any other architecture ?
	- Are you using any particular IDE ?
	- Are you just struggling to get the PK2 working with GNU/Linux ?
	- Are you struggling to get the PK2 programming your chip ?

And so on.  That should help somebody to direct you to an appropriate
resource based on what your existing experience is.

If you're finding it difficult to get into PICs (rather than getting your PIC
environment working with a flavour of GNU/Linux) then I'd probably suggest
you look at the (more general) piclist mailing list:

	http://www.piclist.com/techref/piclist/index.htm

You may have better luck posting there, but be a bit more specific / provide
more details.

If you're just trying to get your PK2 working with your GNU/Linux distro (at
least I'm presuming you're running a GNU/Linux-based system because you posted
here), a good starting point is Xiaofan's step-by-step blog post:

	http://mcuee.blogspot.com/search/label/PICKit

Scroll down to the bottom for a link to his step-by-step guide (PICkit 2 under
Linux Mini-Howto).

And speaking of Xiaofan - I posted a comment on your Howto page with some
differences I encountered when running through your instructions on my system
(presumably due to it being built more recently than your blog item).  But
they don't look to have appeared - have you censored them ? :)

Regards,

Pete Restall