gnupic: Re: [gnupic] PK2 resources for beginners who would like to achieve something

Subject: Re: [gnupic] PK2 resources for beginners who would like to achieve something
From: Peter Keller ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jun 2009 04:30:19 -0000

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:47:54AM +0800, Darwin Pintado wrote:
> My questions not only to you but to everyone is about using a programming
> language. In your experience, which is better C or assemply when it comes to
> developing embedded systems?

I personally like writing the things I need (for the PIC16/18 family)
in raw assembly. I'm probably in the minority though... I just find that
I pick the language most suited to the task at hand, and for my tasks,
it usually means flipping pins on and off, and that is a primitive in
assembly--so I use it.

> Where can I go for a start for that language?

I use linux, so it is gputils for me. I write other codes in other
languages a lot, so I just use vim, make, gputils, and pk2cmd to write
and burn all of my stuff. If you want a gui then pikdev might work well
on linux.

This book is very tasty:

http://www.amazon.com/Quintessential-Microcontroller-Computer-Communications-Networks/dp/185233942X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245903875&sr=1-1

I learned a *lot* about PICs with it. Also, you'll have to read the datasheet
for the processors, and yes, they are like 700 pages, but they can be broken
up into small manageable pieces.

Later,
-pete