gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Pic-Kit 3 and Linux?

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Pic-Kit 3 and Linux?
From: Mauricio Giovagnini ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2009 12:42:10 -0000

Noel Henson wrote:
>> For additional commands, e-mail: ####@####.####
>
> The reason I ask is that I'd have no problem designing a universal PIC
> programmer for us all to use. In the past I needed to create one that
> worked for a particular line of remote controls for groups. It could
> program the Atmel (which is SPI-like) and Microchip (different for each
> family + HV Vpp). If the complexity of the programming 'OS' as Microchip
> calls it is removed from the programmer, or rather if the programmer only
> knew about the physical layer protocol, then the programming algorithm for
> each family could reside on the host where it is very easy to change.
>
> If I were to design one, I'd probably take the cheapest PIC part with and
> SCI port, add a charge pump for Vpp and throw on a USB-to-serial IC and
> call it done. But I'll only put in the effort if there's interest.
>
> Noel

Noel although your proposal is really nice I've seen such
efforts many times on Windows Platform.  Anytime a problem
arises there's was one man hero that solved the problem but
then the issue was... what about then? support for new
devices, bug corrections, etc.
After years passed it's common to loose interest in such a
thing and that's where open source is vital, chances are
that a new developer will be there to help and continue the
project.

Making a programmer is not a trivial thing, I've seen much
programmers that do work but only under certain
circumstances, if you use a Capacitor in the vpp pin then
the programmer could fail on some situations.. and such
annoying things.  Then there is one post regarding that he
can't make it work with the picxxxx and then you will have a
problem: helping him? not helping him? is he installing
correctly the software ? did he assembled the programmer
hardware ok? and many many things that will be time
demanding... so a community doing this will be better than
just one man.

I don't have enough time to help in such a thing although I
am much interested as I am an electronic engineer with
background in Embedded software for microcontrollers and PCs
and I could help on any of those areas but If I can't help
with the necessary amount of time I'd prefer not to disturb
the developing process.

If I were you I would invest my time on an already working
project for many reasons, right now this come to my mind

1. Perhaps many problems already solved (like how to make
the interface protocol with the PC)
2. Current users that will help in testing the product on
several devices
3. Many things already tested (don't need to reinvent the wheel)

There are several such devices around

a) The pickit 2 itself, I remember some months ago that a
Microchip member wrote that the problem with the pickit2 was
that the embedded coders where not expert in PC software
programming and vice versa so having opened its architecture
didn't give the expected benefits.
Anyway I think the pickit project was born due to dozens of
bad quality pic programmers that were more than a headache
to Microchip Support personnel (those bad quality
programmers tend to burn the programming circuits of the pic
so after 2 or 3 device programming access to it was denied,
I know that because I had bought many of such programmers hehe)

b) The Open OCD programmer [0].  Although I think is more
meant to JTAG devices it could be a nice start knowing that
they have solved the communication interface with the PC

c) The Open Pic Programmer [1] , I haven't used it but I
think again that will be a good start rather than developing
something from scratch.

d) The USBPRog [2], its based on an Atmel microcontroller
but again may be there are somethings that can be
extrapolated to a pic and the PC interface it could be reused

May be there are others around but this could be a good start.

Regards

[0] http://openocd.berlios.de/web/
[1] http://openprog.altervista.org/OP_eng.html
[2] http://www.embedded-projects.net/index.php?page_id=165