gnupic: PICSTART Plus and GPUTILS

Subject: PICSTART Plus and GPUTILS
From: "Jason Hsu, Linux user" ####@####.####
Date: 22 Jan 2010 00:17:10 -0000

Thanks for your suggestions on the best Linux distro for programming microcontrollers.  A page that I found useful was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distros#Package_management_and_installation , which shows how many programs are in each distro's repository.  Debian, Ubuntu, and their closest derivatives (antiX, Crunchbang, Mint, etc.) have the biggest repositories and thus the best support for embedded engineering.

I'm now using antiX Linux, a lightweight version of MEPIS.  antiX is lightweight and user-friendly like Puppy Linux but uses the Debian repositories.  Puppy Linux has a weak repository (though compatibility with the Debian repository is in the works), Debian is too hard to configure, and Ubuntu is too bloated.  antiX, on the other hand, is the best of all worlds.

Does GPUTILS work for programming the PICSTART Plus?  I know that picp is intended to be used with the PICSTART Plus, but I don't like the fact that GPICP (the GUI for picp) is dependent on two programs that are not  in the antiX/Debian repository.

--
Jason Hsu, Linux user ####@####.####