gnupic: gpasm - MPASM include files license

Subject: gpasm - MPASM include files license
From: Borut Razem ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jul 2010 19:34:04 -0000

Hi,

I wold like to know what is the status of using / distributing Microchip
MPASM include files with gpasm:
- is there any "official" statement from Microchip that the include
files can be used with gpasm?
- has anybody contact the Microchip to clarify this issue?
- does anybody know a contact person or address at Microchip where I can
send an e-mail to get answers about the matter?

I'm asking this because there is no copyright notice (Microchip is
mentioned, but not explicitly as a copyright holder) nor any licensing
terms in include files.

Sdcc project is using MPASM include files to produce device specific
headers and c source files which are part of sdcc run-time libraries.
One of goals for the upcoming sdcc 3.0 release is to release the sdcc
library under the GPL+LE (see
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sdcc/wiki/Library%20License%20Selection),
so that it can be used with closed source (proprietary) software. Part
of this task is also clarification of licensing status of MPASM include
files.

Best regards,
Borut