gnupic: mcp2510.inc in gpasm headers?

Subject: Re: mcp2510.inc in gpasm headers?
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 3 Nov 2001 21:20:42 -0000

I am not familiar with this device.  I took a quick look at Microchip's
website.  Help me understand your request.

This device is not an MCU.  It is a CAN controller.  This device is
controlled by an SPI port.  You are using a PIC to provide the SPI
port.  You would like an include file that contains the commands to this
controller.  MPLAB does not include a header file for this device.

Correct?

I see a mcp2510.inc in the zip located at:

http://www.microchip.com/1010/pline/analog/anicateg/interfce/intrfcat/can/1573/index.htm

Is this the one you are referring to?

mcp2510.inc is a C header file.  Before it could be used with gpasm:

1.  The comments would have to be changed from /* to ;

2.  The #defines should be changed to equ statements to conform with the
other headers.

3.  The new header would be used in conjunction with the other processor
header files.  There can't be any duplicate definitions.  To ensure no
problems, the new header would have to be checked against all of the
other headers.

Adding a file like this is something new.  Currently, all of the header
files distributed with gpasm are for processor specific information.
Before adding the file, I would need some time to consider other
consequences.

These extra include files could be distributed seperately.  We would
still have to test for gpasm compatibility, but that is easily
automated.

gpasm users, what do you think?  Would a single distribution containing
common functions and definitions be useful or an unnecessary diversion
of resources (namely me)?  The data would have to be contributed by you,
the users.  My responsibility would be testing and making releases.