gnupic: IcProg port under Linux

Subject: Re: IcProg port under Linux
From: Carlos Nieves Onega ####@####.####
Date: 13 Nov 2001 19:46:16 -0000

Hi Frederic,
I realize that situation some time ago. There are programmers for
eeproms, pics, avrs.. and so on under Linux, but no one being able to
program everything.
I'm thinking of starting an universal programmer software project, but
first I'm doing my own universal programmer hardware (I'm bored to build
a new programmer for each device I want to use).
I have started thinking on the software, and most programmers I know,
work changing bits on parallel or serial port, and a few of them sending
data over serial port, so I think defining a common interface to a
programmer which could be used by device drivers for pics, avr, eeprom,
and so more could be a good solution. Something like defining functions
like change_port_pin, read_port_pin, send_data, receive_data, set_port
(options)...
By the way, I remember that another programmer for Windows is Ponyprog,
and as I can remember, there's some old version under GPL license, (new
ones aren't) so it could be a good start point.
If you are interested, I was hacking on a picprg version
(http://picprg.sourceforge.net), which could be adapted to any pic by
defining a text config file. It's a ncurses program, not a nice GTK or
KDE GUI, but I think you should got some software version under console
and then change to the GUI you want. This version of picprg is some old
(from August, as I remember).I didn't got any user feedback since then,
so I stopped to work on it to begin the design of my programmer
hardware.

Regards,

Carlos